jueves, 30 de abril de 2009

Part 96 in the 97 part series on private education in spain: how we know sexism isn't dead in spain

So I haven't written in a while, but that's to be expected considering I am Fiona and not very apt to keep with anything. BUT! Today my prof at the Spanish university said something so priceless that I had to share.

Of course I arrive and find the door closed and room dark, but being the absurdly responsible person I am, I decided to wait five minutes before assuming class was canceled and leaving. After about 7 minutes (my watch is dead) the prof comes and I am still the only person there. He was pretty excited/ticked off (excited because I don't talk during class and if I'm the only person there, then he can actually give his lecture) and (ticked off because the entire class hadn't come). Anyway, he decides to just tell me the whole lecture on the roots of nazism, even though I'm not going to be here for the final exam, so it's a complete waste of time.

Finally, after about a half hour of him telling me things and me nodding obediently, five or six spanish students come in, all boys. Apparently there was a lecture by a poet that the class had been attending (most of them skipped out, in ordinary spanish fashion, rather than coming to history, but a few of them did make it). When they explained where they had been, and that their literature prof had made them stay, my prof says (author's translation):

"With Fiona's pardon, the problem with literature is the women who don't know how to keep things organized. If that were a politics lecture, the men would have kept things moving along on time."

I, of course, responded, "Hey! I study government!"

Later, when two more spaniards trickled in, the prof broke from the lecture just long enough to say that sometimes when they assassinate poets, it's the right choice (referring to the nazism we're studying, obviously).

Can you tell this is my favorite class? It is.

Conclusion: It's not my fault, women just can't stay organized.

No hay comentarios: